Refugee crisis: Support the Afghan resettlement
Wanstead Flats is a large area of open grassland in the south of the forest, perfect for sports, picnics and enjoying nature.
It is also a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and home to Jubilee Pond.
Things to do on Wanstead Flats
- Enjoy a walk around Jubilee Pond on our Lime Trail or take your bike, your horse or your dog
- Visit nearby Bush Wood
- Pack a picnic and have lunch at the water's edge
- Explore our pondlife at our pond dipping platform
- Grab your binoculars for a day of bird-watching and see meadow pipits and skylarks who also visit the Flats
- Bring your children for a fun day at our natural play area
- Play football at our renowned playing fields
- Get fit with health walks and parkruns courtesy of Parkrun, the Newham Striders, Active Newham and Active Redbridge; for time please see our events page
Easy access trail
Our easy access path at Wanstead Flats circles Jubilee Pond, a haven for various aquatic plants, and wildfowl such as coot, mallard and moorhens.
- This trail has a level, firm, non-slip surface and is 0.5km (0.3 miles) long with benches and passing places for wheelchairs at regular intervals
- Interpretation is available at the beginning of the trail and is large print and accessible and readable from a seated position
- There is an easy access platform which offers the opportunity for fishing or relaxing contemplation at the waterside for wheelchair users
- The path can be most easily accessed from Jubilee Pond car park via a firm and level path
- Unfortunately, we do not have toilet or refreshment facilities nearby, so we recommend a comfort break in Wanstead ahead of your visit
Explore the length and breadth of Epping Forest with our official map, showing paths, trails, car parks, train stations, things to do, toilets and everything else you need to plan your day out.
Wander around wide open Wanstead Flats and through secluded Bush Wood
Parking and travel info
The car park at Jubilee Pond has several Sheffield-style bike racks for you to lock your bike to.
Wanstead Flats is a 1.8km (1.1 mile) walk from Leytonstone station on the Central line; a 0.4 mile (0.7km) walk from Leytonstone High Road or Wanstead Park stations on the London Overground or Forest Gate station on TfL Rail.
The 58 and 308 buses both serve Wanstead Flats directly.
Parking is available at these car parks:
|Car park name||Nearest postcode||what3words address|
|Jubilee Pond||E7 0EA||///hill.pasta.keys|
|Centre Road||E7 0EF||///hatch.town.union|