Skip to content
Date updated: 11/11/2020

Do you need Building Regulation approval?

Building Regulations approval is needed for all ‘building work’ as defined in the Regulations.

Building Regulation approval is needed for most alterations to, and refurbishment of, existing buildings; as well new buildings. The precise definition of building work can be confusing. If you are unsure as to whether you need Building Regulations approval, telephone the team on 020 7332 1000 and we will advise and guide you through the process.

The examples below are not exhaustive and you should check with us before starting work.

  • New buildings
  • Altering partitions in a commercial premises
  • Extensions
  • A shop fit-out
  • Fit-out works
  • Replacing a fire alarm system
  • Changing drainage in a residential kitchen
  • Most electrical work in a house or flat
  • Replacing windows

Applications for demolitions and temporary structures are dealt with by the City of London District Surveyors and are explained more fully in Demolition Notices and Special and Temporary Structures pages.