Refugee crisis: Support the Afghan resettlement
Connaught Water is one of the most popular lakes to walk around in Epping Forest, largely because of its wildlife and close proximity to Chingford.
Things to do at Connaught Water
- Take a walk around the lake on our easy access path
- Grab an ice cream at Connaught Water car park when the sun comes out
- Head to the lake with your rod for a spot of angling
- Set down with your binoculars and watch the ducks, geese, swans and grebes that live here
- Pick up our circular Willow Trail for a longer walk around the water and to Fairmead
Easy access trail
Our easy access trail at Connaught Water provides visitors with the opportunity to see plenty of the birds that call it their home, from swans and mandarin ducks to great crested grebes.
- The trail has a level, firm, non-slip surface and is 1km (0.6 miles) long with benches and passing places for wheelchairs at regular intervals
- Interpretation is available at the beginning of the trail and is large print and accessible and readable from a seated position
- The trail is easily accessed via a hard, level path from Connaught Water Car Park
- A purpose-built fishing platform for wheelchair users is also present on the path
- Maps, large print literature, disabled parking and a unisex accessible toilet are available at our Visitor Centre in Chingford (0.6mi away) during opening hours
- Refreshment is available near the Visitor Centre at Butler's Retreat and the Royal Forest pub. We recommend a comfort break here before starting the trail
Explore the length and breadth of Epping Forest with our official map, showing paths, trails, car parks, train stations, things to do, toilets and everything else you need to plan your day out.
Follow a path around Fairmead and Connaught Water between Chingford and Loughton
Parking and travel info
The car park at the Connaught Water has several Sheffield-style bike racks for you to lock your bike to.
Barn Hoppitt is a 1.5km (0.9 mile) walk from Chingford station on the London Overground line.
The 97, 179, 212, 313, 379, 385, 397, 444 and N26 buses all serve Chingford station, which is a 1.5km (0.9 mile) walk away.
Parking is available at these car parks:
|Car park name||Nearest postcode||what3words address|
|Connaught Water||IG9 5UB||///jump.turkey.vine|