Hampstead Mixed Pond
Mixed Pond is a natural bathing pond and one of London's best open air swimming spots.
Cold water habituation
Following lockdown all swimmers will need to be careful. The water temperature is still cold and you will need to start the habituation process again. Start off slowly, reducing the time you normally spend in the water. Gradually increase your swimming time each day until you are fully habituated.
Please remember the risks associated with cold water swimming, even for regular winter swimmers:
- Dangers include hypothermia, and cold shock or Sudden Immersion Syndrome.
- Enter the water carefully, and avoid diving, especially if you are new to cold water swimming.
- Know your limits and leave the water if you have any concerns or if advised by the Lifeguards.
- After your swim, warm up slowly with plenty of layers. Sip hot drinks, and avoid hot showers and vigorous exercise - warming too quickly can be dangerous.
- Speak to your GP about any medical conditions before you swim.
|Period from||Open||Last entry||Vacate water||Vacate facility|
|29 March 2021 to 11 April 2021||7am||2pm||2.15pm||2.30pm|
|12 April 2021 to 30 April 2021||7am||3.30pm||3.45pm||4pm|
Summer Season (from May 1) opening times will be published soon.
We regularly tweet the water temperature at the pond on Twitter.
- Lifeguards on duty
- Changing rooms
- Outdoor cold showers
|Ticket||Adult price||Concession price|
|Single day ticket||£4.05||£2.43|
- Cash (no change given) or card payment accepted
- Contact details will be taken by staff to comply with the Government's Test and Trace scheme
If you are a regular swimmer, you can save by getting a season ticket. Please note that the Mixed Pond is only open to season ticket holders for the summer season and is only open for the Winter Swimming Club during the winter.
|Bathing Ponds 6 month pass||£66.85||£40.11|
|Bathing Ponds 12 month pass||£126.62||£75.97|
Visit our season ticket page to find out more and buy your season ticket.
When you purchase a season ticket you will be issued with a wristband which you can use to 'tap in' when you swim. Replacement cost of lost wristband is £5.
If you cannot fill in the Season Ticket Application online then paper copies will be available at the Bathing Ponds, Lido and Parliament Hill office.
Concessions for students, OAPs, unemployed people, those on Universal Credit or in receipt of the Personal Independence Payment or with a Disabled Card are available. You will be asked to provide proof before you book.
Free morning swim
Those over the age of 60 are eligible for a free morning swim from 7am until 9.30am. You can apply for a free season ticket on our season ticket page.
Carers can accompany a swimmer for free. Choose the Carer option on the Season Ticket Application Form.
Are you an existing season ticket holder?
If you have not heard from us regarding your Season Ticket, email the Hampstead Heath swimming team for details.
- Strong swimmers only. The ponds are deep and can be very cold.
- Currently, for safety reasons, under 16s are not currently allowed in the Ponds.
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, there will be a limit of people allowed in the Pond. This will be managed at the gate.
- Swim wear must be worn.
- Assistance dogs only allowed in the facilities.
- No lockers and valuables are left at your own risk.
- Blue-green algae has recently been identified at the pond - avoid drinking the water and shower after swimming
The levels of micro-organisms fluctuates in this untreated water. High levels pose a risk to your health and often occur after rain and where there is a lot of swimmers in the pond. The risk of illness is greater for children, the elderly or immunocompromised people and some overseas visitors, as they can have lower immunity. The dangers include: mild-gastroenteritis or eye, ear and respiratory infections. We recommend you consult a doctor if you have any health concerns, avoid swallowing pond water and shower before and after bathing.
The Hampstead Mixed Pond is located near East Heath Road on Hampstead Heath.
The nearest stations to the Men's Pond are:
- Hampstead Heath on the Overground Line (7 minute walk)
- Hampstead on the Northern Line (13 minute walk)
Visit TfL's Journey Planner to plan your trip to the Pond.
There is parking available at East Heath Car Park.
All money received from swimming is gratefully received and is reinvested to support the costs of Lifeguarding and operating the Pond, thank you for your support. You can make an additional donation to Hampstead Heath (Registered Charity no. 803392).
Following the discovery of a blocked sewer north of Kenwood Ladies’ Pond on 17 September 2020, a series of water quality tests were commissioned by the City of London. You can view the results of the three bathing ponds below, in addition to water quality results from earlier in the summer.
Annual Report 2020/21
We’re currently seeking views on a draft Annual Report on Swimming which provides a summary on the 2020/21 season and looks forward to the coming 2021/22 season. You can find the report below and send any comments and views by 31 March 2021 to: HHfirstname.lastname@example.org