London Metropolitan Archives is now open
LMA is open on a restricted basis for pre-booked researchers with an urgent need to see original documents.
While LMA may not be fully available, lots of our collections and services can be accessed online - for more details, please visit the LMA digital resources and services page.
What are we offering?
Our priority is to reopen in a way which is safe for staff and readers. Wearing masks is mandatory - we have social distancing and ventilation in place and we have redesigned our systems and building to operate safely and smoothly.
- LMA is offering 12 researcher places a day on a pre-booked basis for access to original documents
- We will be open from 10.30am - 3.30pm Monday to Thursday from 10 May and in June and July (we are closed on Monday 31 May)
- We are providing essential access to original documents which are required for urgent or official research
- We will not be able to take any copying orders onsite
- Wifi is available in the public rooms. You can bring your own laptop, phone and paper and pencil into the Archive Study Area
- Library browsing, pc use and printing will not be available
Please consider whether access to original documents is essential or if it can be deferred for a few months.
In order to comply with guidance on social distancing and to ensure the safety of all visitors and staff, your experience will be slightly different to what you are used to - we've made a list of what to expect during your visit.
How to book a visit
You can contact us by email to book a visit for the period 10 May to 29 July
- The maximum number of visits is one per month
- If your research is urgent, please let us know this
- In order to complete a booking, you need to identify the exact reference numbers of the documents (and related material) you wish to consult – up to a maximum number of 15 items per visit. You will not be able to order anything on the day of your visit or through the electronic ordering system
- We can help you use our catalogue by email but we must have all document references at least seven calendar days before your visit otherwise your booking will be cancelled and offered to someone else
You are very welcome as a new researcher if your research is urgent. We will ask for proofs of identity to issue you a History card safely. Please start the registration process before arrival onsite.