London Metropolitan Archives - visitor information
London Metropolitan Archives is now open
LMA is open on a restricted basis for pre-booked researchers with an urgent need to see original documents.
While LMA may not be fully available, lots of our collections and services can be accessed online - for more details, please visit the LMA digital resources and services page.
What are we offering?
Our priority is to operate in a way which is safe for staff and readers. Wearing masks is mandatory as is social distancing and ventilation, these requirements form part of LMA’s rules and regulations. We have social distancing and ventilation in place and we have redesigned our systems and building to operate safely and smoothly.
- LMA is offering 12 researcher places a day on a pre-booked basis for access to original documents
- We will be open from 10.30am - 3.30pm Monday to Thursday from now until September (except Bank holidays)
- We are providing essential access to original documents which are required for urgent or official research
- We will not be able to take any copying orders onsite
- Wifi is available in the public rooms. You can bring your own laptop, phone and paper and pencil into the Archive Study Area
- Library browsing and pc use including Ancestry will be available to booked researchers (from August). Printing is not available
- You need to book in advance to use microfilm readers and access the mediatheque from August - there are six spaces available so please make a booking enquiry as soon as possible
Please consider whether access to original documents is essential or if it can be deferred for a few months.
In order to comply with guidance on social distancing and to ensure the safety of all visitors and staff, your experience will be slightly different to what you are used to - we've made a list of what to expect during your visit.
How to book a visit
- The maximum number of visits is one per month
- In order to complete a booking, you need to identify the exact reference numbers of the documents (and/or microfilms) you wish to consult – up to a maximum number of 15 items per visit. You will not be able to order anything on the day of your visit or through the electronic ordering system
- We can help you use our catalogue by email but we must have all document references at least 10 calendar days before your visit otherwise your booking will be cancelled and offered to someone else
You are very welcome as a new researcher if your research is urgent. We will ask for proofs of identity to issue you a History card safely. Please start the registration process before arrival onsite.
Future research at LMA
From October onwards we hope and intend to open LMA for research on a less restrictive basis. Further updates will be published in September.