London Metropolitan Archives - visitor information
Arrangements for access to archives at LMA
- We are pleased to be open more fully and without the need to book a seat
- Use of face coverings is encouraged
- Please wash your hands thoroughly and apply hand sanitiser throughout your visit - except from in the Archive Study Area where it might damage documents
- The Information Area library, public computers, microfilms, map area and Mediatheque will be open (the printing facilities, however, are not in use)
- Please order your documents in advance online. If you order in advance, you can consult your documents shortly after arrival
- You can order documents on the day at hourly intervals but we strongly recommend ordering in advance. The limit is now 10 items per collection
- Last orders will be at 2pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays and at 4pm on Wednesdays. Please order online in advance or make sure you are at LMA in good time to place an order
- Orders for items to be viewed on Saturdays must be made in advance - any orders must be made by 12 noon on the Friday before at the very latest
- If you have obtained permission to see closed records, please contact the enquiry team to order these records in advance of your visit
Saturday Opening and additional opening hours
LMA will be opening later on Wednesday evenings, until 7pm. We will also opening from 10am-4pm for researchers on three Saturdays (10 September, 8 October and 10 December) in the autumn of 2022.
LMA will also be open on those three Saturdays for people wishing to see the Magnificent Maps of London exhibition and of course there is the usual free access to Ancestry, the LMA catalogues, access to the Mediatheque and the open shelves of the LMA Library.
History Cards can be issued on the day.
If you have any questions about Saturday opening, please contact us, or check some of the previously asked questions which follow:
Please contact LMA in advance of your visit and staff will explain how you can order documents to view on a Saturday
Yes, just ask staff when you return items to the desk that you wish to see them on Saturday and they will be kept on reserve for you
Yes. Please speak to staff in the Archive Study Area once you have consulted original documents.
You can only access original documents at LMA if you have a valid History Card
- If your History Card has expired, you can only renew it at LMA - you will need to bring a valid ID and proof of address - see our History Card page for full details
- If you don't have a History Card, you can apply online and provide proof of ID when you arrive at LMA